Smoked trout was a delicacy when I lived in the States, but here in Switzerland it’s affordable—there’s even a Migros Budget or Coop bargain package. I like this recipe because it mixes the smoky flavor of the trout with crisp, tart Granny Smith apples and mellow, crunchy cucumber. Although this may seem like a lot of dill, don’t skimp!
Smoked Trout Salad with Apples, Dill & Cucumber
- 1 lb smoked trout
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 cucumber peeled and cut into ¼-inch dice
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ¼ cup scallions thinly sliced
- 4 cups fresh dill minced
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ t white pepper
- Remove bones from the trout, if any. Flake the trout. Add all ingredients to a large salad bowl and toss.
- Serve with crackers or brown bread.